Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord wants to bill tenant for water and sewer charges

Posted by loretta hancock on April 07, 2001 at 16:20:40:

In Reply to: Re: landlord wants to bill tenant for water and sewer charges posted by New York Tenant on April 07, 2001 at 14:48:57:

: What, if anything, does your lease say about water and sewer charges? Most apartment leases say that the landlord will provide hot and cold water.

: Landlords of single-family houses sometimes require the tenant to pay their own water and sewage charges, directly to the water provider, as well as the cost of making hot water.

: But it's very unusual in apartment buildings for tenants to be directly charged for water. If there isn't already a water meter for each apartment, the landlord would have to install them.

: And because of the way plumbing is installed in most apartment buildings, a meter would have to be installed inside each apartment. Unless the meters can be read remotely, the landlord would have to send someone into each apartment every month to read the meters, and then bill the tenants for the water and sewer charges. (Sewer charges are generally a percentage of the water charges.)

: New York City is changing its billing of water and sewer charges for apartment buildings from a flat-rate basis to a metered basis. Some landlords are complaining that their water and sewer charges will greatly increase in buildings where apartments are occupied by large families, many of whom are home much of the time.

: :
: : I want to know if a landlord can install a water meter, read it and charge me for water and sewage. I live in zanesville, ohio. I live in an apartment complex.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name