Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No Lease

Posted by JL on April 09, 2001 at 12:31:50:

In Reply to: No Lease posted by Kim Gregory on April 08, 2001 at 03:30:44:

without a lease, you are implicitly renting month to month. your landlord's claim of late rent is silly, but he has more of a case than you would, unfortunately. ultimately, he is the owner of the property and you're just living in there. pay the late fee this once but demand a lease again. if he does not comply, maybe you can just get a standard lease and prepare it for him (he may just be lazy). if he reads it over, etc, and still won't sign, then you've got a problem. singing leases protects both parties but having no lease really only benefits the landlord. it sounds like he wants to keep it that way, making up fake dates that the rent is due. more money for him. you could look into taking this into court but moving to a nicer landlord's place would probably be cheaper and easier.

: Could some one PLEASE help me? I am from Elgin Texas. I moved into a duplex in December of 1999. The landlord said it was a one year lease. But almost 5 months after the one year is up I have never even seen a lease to sign. I have asked repeatedly for my landlord to send one over but he hasn't. Now he is trying to charge me a late fee on my rent. I need to know what my righs are since there is no lease. Someone PLEASE help me. Thank you, Kim

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name