Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord refuses to exterminate

Posted by Whitney on April 10, 2001 at 21:48:47:

I believe the building I live in is infested with termites and my LL refuses to call a professional exterminator. I live in Queens & have a 2 year lease and moving is not an option. My lease has a rider that says I am responsible to exterminate my apartment. Fine. I called several exterminators, but since they think they are termites -they won't help me - they need the LL's permission to do an inspection.

These bugs or termites come in swarms of thousands outside my front door & then come under the door into my apartment. It takes several hours to kill/deal with them & clean up the mess. I have spent 2 Saturday evenings duct taped in my own apartment!

My LL said it is not his problem, but is willing to pay 1/2 or 1/3 (depending on the day) of an exterminator, but will not call them. Again, when I descibe the bugs to the exterminators over the phone they say they are termites & need LL's permission. Catch 22. LL says he doesn't see any bugs & since they are now in my apartment - it is my problem. LL thinks exterminators are scam artists & they are saying "termites" to scare me. I have done some research on termites & although I am no entomologist - I am pretty sure they are termites. I am convinced LL is an idiot.

I appreciate any advice on who I should contact, etc... Again, moving is not an option. Thank you! :)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name