Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Signing Lease for first apartment on Monday

Posted by Ace on April 16, 2001 at 10:48:38:

In Reply to: Signing Lease for first apartment on Monday posted by Jon Rosenthal on April 15, 2001 at 09:20:06:

It might be good to videotape or take pictures with time and date stamped on them regarding the condition of the apartment before you move in, preferably with the LL present. Make copies for yourself and LL and keep all copies of your lease and photos and future correspondence in a safe place, like at a bank in a safety deposit box.

And don't ever give cash, unless you're getting a receipt at the same time you exchange the money. Otherwise you'll have no proof later of payment.

And of course, READ your lease throughout and thoroughly. Take it to an attorney if anything confuses or seems strange to you.

: Well, after months of searching, I finally found an apartment I like. Its costing me a massive amount of money, but its going to be an improvement from living at home ;) What I was wondering, can you guys give me a list of rules/rights I should be aware of before I sign the lease on monday? Anything I should ask the broker and/or landlord that many people might forget? I am of course going to actually read the document before signing it, but I was hoping that poeple here could tell me of some things that should definitly be or not be mentioned in the lease document.

: Thanks,
: Jonathon Rosenthal

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name