Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant Blacklisting

Posted by Real Landlord on April 17, 2001 at 19:37:57:

In Reply to: Re: Tenant Blacklisting posted by Ronin on April 17, 2001 at 14:54:08:

What Renee and the other poster said is correct. There is no blacklist - only public information that is available on database form, and informal networking among managers and property owners. Do you think that by portraying this as some dark, vast conspiracy you can garner more interest for your cable TV show ? In fact, all of this information is available to tenants as well (why not recommend that tenants "investigate" a potential landlord before signing a lease) ?

The example you gave of a holdover tenant is very poor. An illegal hold over is a very serious lease violation. I would certainly never want to rent to anyone who treated their lease and the LL's property with such contempt.

Also even if there was a "blacklist" -- there would be little reason for "blacklisted" tenants to fear. There are hundreds of thousands of property owners in this city, and many (especially newer, and small owners) do practically no screening at all. Many landlords learn the hard way. At first they are easy on their qualifications and accept a tenants word at face value. Eventually, a tenant burns them for rent, trashes the property, or harrasses other tenants. So by necessity, the landlord learns to take the steps necessary to screen tenants. And believe me, a string of nonpayment or holdover cases involving one tenant is a very big warning to any landlord.

I think you need to do more research on general principles of law (and of course talk to a few landlords or landlord organizations) if you want to make an accurate portrayal of the ins and outs of renting.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name