Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Sympathy for the Devil?

Posted by Ronin on April 18, 2001 at 22:22:02:

In Reply to: Re: Tenant Blacklisting posted by Renee on April 17, 2001 at 20:39:38:

:I sometimes wonder what some of the posters would say if their employer said - I am unable to pay for the next two months - perhaps your next employer can pick up the slack.

Tenants are not your employers, they are your customers. In no other business would anyone even tolerate a businessman whining about, "some of my customers dont pay." In every field, from retail to high level consulting (especially high level consulting!), customers don't pay. Part of business is dealing with it. Sue, absorb the loss and move on, negotiate a deal, or whatever makes business sense. If you cannot, then you shouldn't be in business. Sell the house.

Now, assuming that you are a small home owner/ small landlord, Rent Wars has all the sympathy in the world for you and your plight. For a small landlord/ small home owner, the city and state of New York have a tangled mass of rules, regulations, and scams- most not even involving tenants. From litter rules, to eminent domain, to mortgage frauds. Unlike the big guys who can afford staffs of compliance officers, and big guys who can bribe their way out of everything, these complications impact the little guy. But none of this excuses the little guy from meeting certain ethical standards.

I do want to point out, however, that your post was non-sequitor. In no reasonable reading could anyone feel that Real Landlord's diatribe about Rent Wars ratings and accuracy be interpreted as sympathy for the plight of a small landlord. I find this interesting because I am exploring the alleged practice of RE companies hiring actors to play the role of aggreived LL's at various public meetings. Would such hirings constitute a violation of the anti corporate espionage laws, and the securities laws (surreptitious stock manipulation when the RE Co is public)?

Would you happen to have any information about that? I'd be very interested in exploring the issue further.

Ronin

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name