Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Parking woes continue

Posted by Honey Bee on April 20, 2001 at 20:02:10:

In Reply to: Parking woes continue posted by Dave on April 20, 2001 at 13:53:29:

You didn't say where you are. Most tenants in New York would be elated to have a parking space, and many don't even have cars.

Examining local laws is one way to solve this problem, although tedious. More expeditious would be negotiating with your landlord. Look around at other complexes in your area and see what arrangements they have for parking (Assigned space for each tenant ? Bigger lot ? Enforced parking rules ?). Also note how much other apartments rent for. Then make a deal - tell him you'd like to sign a renewal lease, but you'd need better parking arrangements, and tell him how you think it should be. If your landlord loses tenants over this issue, you can bet he'll do something.

: Hi,

: I posted to this board some time ago about parking problems in my complex. That time it was about the number of spaces available (roughly 15 spaces located smack dab in the middle of 6 buildings) the problem is the building I am in only has access to this one lot, otherwise we will be forced to park hundreds of feet away.

: Take away one handicapped spot for an elderly resident and one for this abandoned POS and that leaves 13 spaces for 8 apartments plus whomever else decides to park in our lot. The office is not legally obligated to enstate and enforce reserved parking according to information gained in my last post nor have they exercised enough clout with our local town to approve more parking.

: The main issue is another resident. This resident has seen fit to basically abandon a car in our lot while still having two other vehicles. The vehicle has not been on the road in literally almost a year. The vehicle has not moved one inch in that time. The plates are still on it although it is not on the "road". Not sure what the registration says at this point.

: I have repeatedly made calls to the complex managers (yes I'm on my second manager at this point, I call roughly twice a month but at least once) and yet to have resolution, or even know if the resident is taking my requests seriously. I think the office is basically putting me off to avoid a confrontation and ill will. Am I wrong in thinking that it is not my job to confront this resident about the problem? I think that as the managers it's their job to resolve issues such as this.

: Would checking local ordinances about parked cars be helpful? If I find information proving that a local ordinance was being broken would the office have to comply and take action? I'll also be checking my lease to see if I have a clause about stored cars. Anything at all because I am pissed at how rude my neighbor is being. Basically I am asking for some tips and advice or at least some condolences. :o( Anything else that might be helpful? It's upsetting to pay a big chunk of my salary every month for rent only to come home and not have a parking spot. Thanks.

: Dave
: Fustrated Renter

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name