Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL not paying utilities

Posted by Jennifer on April 23, 2001 at 11:02:20:

I live in Manhattan. My apartment is considered an SRO according to the West Side Tenants Union. According to the DHCR I am rent stabilized and my LL is responsible for paying utilities. I do have a written lease, I’d say there are approx. 24 units in the building but I do not know how old the building is. My problem is this: I got a letter from Con Ed saying that my LL has not paid past due bills or a security deposit on account number blah blah blah… and they are going to turn off service this Thursday unless they receive payment. They said that my apartment wouldn’t be effected since I maintain my own account (which I don’t – my LL is responsible for this) but that common areas of the building will be affected. Since I live in an SRO I assume that the shower and toilets, being common areas, will be affected. Then the Con Ed letter goes on to say that the tenants can avoid this by applying for service in their name or by paying it themselves and deducting it from their rent. Furthermore the LL to whom they have been mailing their bills has not been the LL for a few years as the building has changed hands quite a few times. I called Con Ed to inform them of this, and they said that it is now between my LL and I. Before I call him up, I would just like to know where I stand and, if he gives me the run around, which agency can offer me the best help?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name