Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You have to do a formal eviction...

Posted by MikeW on April 25, 2001 at 11:30:14:

In Reply to: How do I posted by Lonnie on April 25, 2001 at 10:08:42:

Assuming you have no written roommate agreement with him stating a term of his roommatehood (?), you can start the process any time, sort of. You have to give him 30 days written notice, with the 30 days commencing on the beginning of his rental period, ie the date the rent is due. The notice has to be on a form you get from the housing court. The service of the notice should also be witnessed.

If he refuses to leave after the end of the 30 days, you can file for an eviction in housing court. At this point, it is time to get a lawyer. The usually charge $3-400 to handle this sort of thing.

: I rent an apartment with the lease in my name. I took in a roomate last June first. We decided that he could stay a year at the very least. There was nothing in writing. Over the course of the year I have become very unhappy with the living situation for various reasons. I have also decided to just keep the apartment to myself. I verbally informed him March 1st that I want to end this roomate situation on June 1st. I followed up with a registered letter on April 1st. All indications are that he has no plans of leaving and will stay until he is forced to leave. My question is how do I go about getting rid of him as soon a possible after June 1st?
: Thank you for your help,
: Lonnie

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name