Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

NYC Stabilized Apt

Posted by Marisa on April 27, 2001 at 21:55:15:

My question is actually two-fold. My boyfriend & I recently (three days ago) signed a lease for a stabalized apt. in Brooklyn, NY move in date May 1. I'm nervous, however, because the brokers we dealt with didn't seem to be very competent. They promised that the apt was stabilized but when we went to sign they gave us the wrong type of lease (luckily, we had studied up and knew what to look for). We had to request the stabilized lease and rider. Additionally, I specifically asked the brokers when we viewed the apt if there were "additional charges" not included in the rent and they said everything would be in the lease. The lease says that the landlord is responsible for heat and hot water (with no rider to contradict that fact), yet when when my boyfriend met with the super today, he claimed that we would in fact be responsible for heat charges in addition to rent.

Okay, now the questions:

Part 1- is it a requirement that landlords pay for heat and hot water in NYC stabalized apts? If not, can the landlord "force" us to sign a rider about those charges before allowing us to move in?

Part 2 - what recourse do we have as potential tenents against brokers who make promises about things for which they don't really have accurate information? They already have the bank checks....

Thanks, M.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name