Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: YOUR responsibility not to cause a fire !

Posted by TenantNet on April 29, 2001 at 23:30:06:

In Reply to: YOUR responsibility not to cause a fire ! posted by Honey Bee on April 29, 2001 at 23:18:45:

Well, it depends. Depends on the style of fuses, the box and the line. Some fuse boxes will accommodate only the correct rating (i.e., fusestat). If the line and box accommodate 20 Amps, the the LL is being a cheapskate. On the other hand, the tenant should not push the envelope as it is true that it's a fire hazard to overload a circuit. In older buildings, it's better to be even more conservative and use less than the rating. As insulation gets old, it can break and wear. There's no guarantee the existing wiring is per code, even if new.

: Please -- listen to your landlord. What you are doing is foolish and you are risking an electrical fire.

: The wiring in older buildings was not designed to carry heavy loads. Period. Short having your apartment or the entire building re-wired, there is no getting around this fact.

: Volts x Amps = Maximum watts for a circuit.

: In your case, 120 volts on a 15 amp fuse means you should have no more 1700 watts on that circuit. Look around, you will find that a smaller air conditioner uses less than that. Or try moving high-wattage appliances (such as toasters or hair dryers) to another circuit.

:
: : My landlord keeps changing the fuses to a lower level (15) and the air conditioner blows the fuse all the time. I am not supposed to touch the fuses per the landlord and I keep asking him to make the fuses a minimum of 20 otherwise the power is lost and all the appliances have no power. What are my rights?
: : Thanks for the help

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name