Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rental share and getting security back

Posted by sloho on April 30, 2001 at 16:05:12:

In Reply to: Re: rental share and getting security back posted by Honey Bee on April 29, 2001 at 23:05:15:

Thanks for responding.

Essentially I was homeless for three months, losing my apt of 10 years (in a 3 family house) after my landlord sold. The new landlord moved in, issued vacate notices, and in NJ (where this place was), there's not to stand on after that (eviction would have take less than 2 weeks). Indeed I did know the prospective buyer was planning this, and frantically looked for a place for a couple of months, but to no avail (try and find a place in winter in either NY/NJ). Even shares were at a premium, both in cost and availability. There were some other mitigating factors as well, which I don't feel the need to get into. Even social services couldn't do anything for me (which I hadn't signed up for). Basically I wound up at the NJ shore in a motel in a winter rental, although this made finding a job difficult (no phone line really).

The "arrangement" itself was what it was..I paid him money and a deposit for a room and access to the phone. The existing "boarder" that was there had said she hadn't a problem with him money-wise (she was there since xmas), although she did say the other things I mentioned were a problem during the daytime, at least until the person that I took over for (there was *another* roommate prior) had said something about the goings on.I think the situation got worse when the apt holder finally moved back full time, as it was then just the two of us (having another live in witness apparently kept this clown under control a bit).

The phony note wasn't totally phony, it is still a receipt for money as best I can tell in common law. Granted it says "as a loan" but there is a day listed to be paid, it has both our signatures on it, is dated, and also has our DL numbers. Granted I doubt if this would hold up in a housing court, but should be something in small claims.
I may be able to contact my "other" roommate, if anything as a witness to what was going on. The clown had advertised on a regular basis in the VV, I'm sure if he burned anyone else it wouldn't take much but an ad to get ppl out of the woodwork.

The bottom line is it's a bit of trouble for me. All I want is my money (the security amount less the utilities) back, and be done with this jerk. I could use the money now, rather than whenever a small claims appearance may be.

Of course I know about security being deposited, but I had only intended on staying not more than two months (which we had discussed prior)..my total stay was 1 month. The whole purpose of taking the share was getting back up here, have access to a phone line, and find work. Actually I thought that the "situation" of not wanting his super to know if anything would keep the guy honest, at least as far as returning money..I mean I'm sure that he must be paying next to nothing in rent (he's been there 30 years), and his LL would probably love to get rid of him.

*prohibited for a rent stabilized tenant to profiteer from roommates (by charging more than the roommates' proportionate share of the rent).**

Oh really? Sheesh you'd have to arrest 99% of the roommate shares out there.

: Lastly, a suggestion. You have endured quite a bit living as a roommate and found that shares can expensive and troublesome. Now, why not actively search for a place of your own ? The HPD web site below lists sources of affordable housing. While most of the

Must be nice to say that from a an ivory tower eh? Don't get me started on the nyc (and surrounding areas..one reason I had such a hard time finding a place is because many ny'ers are moving to jersey, and the real estate brokers are well aware of it. Don't think Jersey is a rent control haven.. the majority of housing is multi family dwellings, which isn't under any rent control.

***get several applications in now, maybe 6 months down the road you can have a place of your own, with a lease in your name ?***

$50 a pop for credit checks..25 year guarantors (really, I saw an sro on St Marks place..the place was a black hole with numerous fire and electrical code violations..and they were serious about a 25 year guarantor, despite the fact I showed them I could pay 6 months rent in advance cash). I know another SRO, that's actually in good shape, that has at least 6 empty rooms, but the management company refuses to rent to anyone atm. How about the $4000-$6000 you need just to move into a place, or the $75k income requirement?

Market prices my ass. A market price is supposed to be a commodity that is available that I'm willing to pay for, not something someone is holding onto to create a "shortage" and thus an inflated price.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name