Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help! The government is seizing my building!

Posted by Ace on May 01, 2001 at 16:11:42:

In Reply to: Help! The government is seizing my building! posted by Laura on May 01, 2001 at 10:08:52:

Keep calling the government offices (or make a trip to the place noted on the seizure notice) until you get an answer. I would normally defer to the city until the LL can prove otherwise but I don't know how that would affect you as a month to month. Send a polite, short letter, with copies of the seizure, to the LL and to the department (both sent either certified or Fed ex so you have evidence of a signature upon receipt) that called the seizure into effect and ask both parties to "set the record straight together" and, in the meantime, if I were you I'd contact a lawyer pronto.

: Two US marshals just showed up and apparently my apartment building has been seized by the US government! I'm really scared about what this could mean to me.

: The court order that they gave me is completely unhelpful. It does state that the case is "US v. Scott M. H____" who is not my landlord. I think he owns the units on the first floor (this is a coop) and I know he's in jail. I thought the govt. actually seized his portion of the property a long time ago, but the marshals said that this seizure is for whole building.

: I called the phone number listed on the court order, but got a machine. I also called my landlord (who had no idea about the seizure and asked me to fax him a copy of the court order). I just am concerned about the implications of this situation for my family and wondered whether I should seek legal advice. The court order said that I should send my lease (I'm month-to-month, but have all cancelled checks), and my rent check to the govt. My landlord says I should still send it to him. It's due today, and I don't know what to do.

: --Debra

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name