Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant has to carpet 80% - I agree with Jimmy's post

Posted by Ace on May 02, 2001 at 12:16:01:

In Reply to: Tenant has to carpet 80% of the apartment posted by Angela on May 01, 2001 at 09:03:23:

Call your attorney back and ask for help on the definition of this, especially the "subleasee" part in that clause and whether or not you are this. Usually carpeting is for heavily trafficked areas, and if the floors are made of wood and/or are old, any sounds and footsteps can amplify.

As I warned in previous post in March, as long as you pay your rent on time and are a good tenant, the LL can't do much. Your suspicion may be right about the LL looking to get rid of you. You may have to file a harrassment claim against the LL -- ask your attorney about this and whether this has any legs to stand on.

Good luck.

: I live in the 6 store co-op building in Brooklyn, NY. I rent my apartment from the management. I rent since October, 1999. Maybe somebody remembers my post from the end of March about the dog in the apartment. Management demanded to get rid of the dog because I have "no Pet" clause in the list. I refused to give away the dog and they told me that they are going to evict me through the court, but my lawyer sent a letter to the management explaining the Pet Law in NYC and that by this law I can keep my dog. So the management could not do anything about the dog. Now they threaten to evict me because in lease there is a clause (exact words) "Sublessee agrees to carpet 80% of the apartment". My question is if I have a big rugs in every room (I have a rug in the bedroom and I am going to buy a large rug for the living room) will it be enough to proove that I covered the floor. I even can buy rug for the dining room. I try to research the English dictionary for exact meaning of verb to carpet. In my understanding it means to cover the floor with the carpet or carpet like material (f.e. rugs). Please answer me if I am correct. And you understand that in my case they do not really care (at least the did not care for 2,5 years) about the carpet but they just want to revenge because they lost the battle over the dog.

: PS. By the way I can explain why I do not want to have my floors be covered with the carpet. I have a dog and the baby (2 month old) and I believe it is much easier to clean with rug, because I can clean the floor under the rug (to remove all the dust and durt) and I can not do this with the carpet.

: Thanks in advance for your time and effort, Angela.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name