Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How about doing some legwork of your own?

Posted by Ace on May 07, 2001 at 14:49:18:

In Reply to: manhattanlandlords.com posted by Sarah on May 06, 2001 at 13:25:30:

Brokers are only looking out for their interests, which is to get business from a landlord to place a good tenant. There may be a few brokers who actually work "for" the tenant, but I doubt it. A tight market like Manhattan, they enjoy a certain power in being the doorkeeper between you and an affordable apartment. They also want their fee which is whatever your rent is going to be, and the higher the rent you pay, the better the commission is for them. So no, I don't trust brokers all that much. They're like NYC employment agencies.

Now a LOT of unscrupulous people place ads with "lists" that are either old, outdated, etc. with prices ranging from $10 to $100 because they know there are people out there eager to live in Manhattan, a tight market place, but don't want to do the research/legwork required.

Do you have friends that live in Manhattan? If you do, that's a good way to find a place. If they've lived there a long time or know other people who have lived there a long time, they can come up with some possible names for you and possible rent ranges you may be looking at. Back in the day, people walked the streets and looked for apt. for rent signs or talked to doormen, tipping them for any info on empty apts in their building. That's what I mean by legwork. Have you checked the newspapers, like picking up the Village Voice? Does your school have an apartment sourcing program? Have you looked at other boroughs? Bottom line: How much are you willing to spend?

: I am a recent college grad looking to move to manhattan and have been told to be very weary of brokers, due to escalated fees, scams and such. Recently I was surfing the web and came across this site called manhattanlandlords.com. This site promises to mail the customer (once a credit card number is given) a complete list of landlords in the city. Now I really feel that this may be a scam but wondered if anyone else has knowledge of this company or if it works. I am very curious and want to try it but am leary. It is advertised in the Village Voice, if that means anything. Can anyone give me feedback, i would really appreciate it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name