Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Losing Stabilization?

Posted by Lilly on May 10, 2001 at 20:54:55:

In Reply to: Re: Losing Stabilization? posted by Ironic on May 10, 2001 at 20:39:32:

First, the Certificate of Occupancy has to be changed, plans must have been filed and approved by the bldgs dept for the alteration, permits obtained for electrical work, structural (if any) work, removing 1 of the apt entrance doors, etc whatever construction requires a permit. Then, LL would have to apply to DHCR to change the status of the bldg, but I don't think DHCR would approve as combining 2 apts doesn't meet the burden or constitute a "substantial rehabilitation" as is needed to remove a bldg from rent regulated status. And even if it were, I really don't think any of that would be retroactive, current rent regulated tenants would not be affected. The reason I say this is that removing an entire occupied bldg from stabilization status is not for the good of the people(for the general good) because if that were the case, every owner of an occupied 6 unit bldg under rent regs would combine an apt or 2.
I don't see it happening.
: : In a 6 apt building new landlord just joined 2 apts to create only 5 units in building. LL could now remove building from stabilization status. I've lived there for over 10 yrs; is my rent stabilization status grandfathered if building is destabilized or might I lose my stabilization when my lease is up in October?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name