Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: My landlord is letting himself in....Help!

Posted by Jimmy Legs on May 16, 2001 at 09:21:14:

In Reply to: My landlord is letting himself in....Help! posted by Frustrated on May 16, 2001 at 07:03:59:

while a LL has the right to enter a property he/she owns, there are guidelines that must be followed. usually it revolves around the at-least-24-hours-notice concept, so there are no surprise visits. this is law in some state but not NY. this makes it more difficult to prove your point, but not impossible. LL's theoretically have the right then to drop by, but if you aren't around, or you're indisposed to answer, you shouldn't have them barging in. there are other, more vague laws about privacy and "peaceful habitation" that can help keep the LL out.

but his assertion that he can come in at will is tantamount to a threat. even if he meant no harm, he has publicly stated that he has every intention of entering your premises whenever he wants. this is going over the line and you should tell him so. it's his property, but he's renting it to you. if you stand your ground (mentioning the legality of his entry, etc.) i bet he will stop being so inconsiderate.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name