Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

broker rented out illegal sublet - who can help?

Posted by B on May 18, 2001 at 11:05:14:

Hi - to cut a long story short - I just moved to NYC last August from abroad. I used a broker to rent my apt. The broker showed me the apt. with the landlord I was assured everything was legal. The landlord told me he was on the board and approved me on the spot...no credit check or anything. One week later I was told by a board member at my coop that I was an illegal tenant. Also my landlord was not a member of the board. I have since then found out that it is well known in the area that this landlord is considered dangerous and other brokers do not work with him becuase they know of his dodgy situation. The apt. was auctioned and now a new tenant wants to move in. I know i have no rights as I was a subtenant on an illegal lease and I have found a new place to live. My question is what is a broker's responsibilty as far as making sure they are not renting out illegal apartments? Do they not have a duty to ensure there landlords are renting out space legally? Are they not profitting from an illegal action here? Or can I sue the landlord for accepting rent on an illegal lease. The story is much more complex than I have written here (the landlord also made sexual suggestions to me, the broker lied on various other issues aswell, the landlord gave me a false name and forged signatures of a fictitious owner etc) but these are the basics. Please help! I am desperate to find out who I can talk to to get some justice here. This has ruined my first 10 months in a city I have always wanted to live in.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name