Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: My landlord is letting himself in....Help!

Posted by New York Tenant on May 18, 2001 at 12:33:03:

In Reply to: My landlord is letting himself in....Help! posted by Frustrated on May 16, 2001 at 07:03:59:

The Housing Maintenance Code (HMC) is a New York City law that would not apply to you, but you should check if there is a similar local law in your area.

HMC §27-2043(b) requires New York City landlords to install a guard chain at the apartment entrance door of each apartment:

http://www.housingnyc.com/resources/hmc/sub2/art11.html#27-2043

But it would seem reasonable that a tenant has a common law right to install a chain and/or a deadbolt at the apartment entrance door. This would afford additional protection to keep intruders out while someone is home, and could also be unfastened by anyone who is present in the apartment or house.

:
: The house I am renting is for sale (N.Y. State). The realtor has been notifying me, about a day in advance, when an appointment to show has been made. Generally, my schedule has allowed me to be home (I need to let my dog out), but the last showing was scheduled for a time when I could not be available. I notified the realtor that I needed to reschedule, who in turn, notified my LL. At 8:30 am then next day, while I was asleep (I had worked nights last week)and without any notice at all, my LL let himself in to show the house. (Unfortunately, my dog is familiar with him and didn't prevent him from entering). I woke up to him coming up the stairs to my bedroom. I was completely shocked and I told him he was intruding. He replied that he could and would enter at anytime, without regard to me, to show the house. Does anyone have any suggestions on handling this situation? I am searching for a new place, but in the interim, I do not want anyone entering without (reasonable) notification - at the very least - but would prefer to be at home. In other words, how accomodating do I have to be and still ensure my privacy? Thanks for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name