Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

New Owners, what are my rights?

Posted by Jessica on May 21, 2001 at 15:49:24:

Hello, I live in Mt.Sterling, KY in a duplex. I don't know if ya'll can help me. I have been living here since April of 98, or three years. The unit was sold to new owners this month. I paid my previous landlords 455 a month. The new owners want me to sign a lease, however, under my old lease I was allowed one pet. I was allowed a dog and now I also have 5 cats. The previous owners knew about my cats and continued to collect rent. They came in to fix things in the past and never said a word. My lease expired in 99 and the previous owners and I had a verbal agreement that I would continue to pay the rent and be allowed to stay. I lived on month-to-month basis, never failing to pay on time the rent for the last two years. The new owners do not allow pets under the new lease and are pretty much enforcing Nazi-esque laws upon me. I do not wish to comply or sign, and am in the current process of finding a new place to live. The problem is, I didn't find out all of this until May 17th and my rent is only paid up for May. Do I have the right to stay the month of June if I give 30 days notice on June 1st and pay the rent for that month? Also, the previous owners refused to fix the Air conditioning, which I assume was because they were trying to sell. I am an Epileptic and can not be in extreme heat, it causes seizures, and it stays a good 80 degrees in here even with the fans in the open windows. Do the new owners have the right to refuse to fix the A/C until I sign a lease or move out? It will be extremely difficult for me to pack up in this heat. Thank you for your time and help, I really appreciate it. If you can't help a KY girl, I understand, thanks anyway.

Sincerely,
Jessica

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name