Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Breaking a lease

Posted by Ace on May 22, 2001 at 15:32:12:

In Reply to: Breaking a lease posted by Ann on May 22, 2001 at 09:23:57:

Check your lease and the by-laws of the coop regarding getting out of your lease. Write a letter sent certified (better yet, Fed Ex, signature upon receipt) and in a short polite letter state the problems -- the break-in, the attempted break-in, etc., with dates regarding the incidents.

When the break-in happened, did you call the police and get a police report written up? If so, I hope you kept a copy of the report for your files, and make a copy of it to include in your letter to the LL. Take pictures of the door and lock, and make a copy of the receipt for the lock (if hte receipt is dated when bought, even better) and send that as well with your Fed Ex note to the LL.

If after sending the letter, you have not gotten anything positive out of the LL to remedy the situations, see what the lease says about giving notice, how much time EXACTLY and follow the instructions to the letter about giving proper notice and getting out. Also, take pictures of your place with a date and time stamped camera when you have emptied the apartment and getting ready to move in case the LL is uncooperative about returning your security deposit.

: I have rented in a pre-war coop building in Washington Heights since September 2000. I have a written lease until August 31, 2001. There has been one break in into my apartment and this weekend there was an attempted break in while I was home alone. The person tried to come in the front door. I haven't alerted the landlord yet because I am not sure what to say to him. He has been totally unresponsive to my previous concerns about the safety of the building. The front door to our apartment building is often not locked, something I noted Friday night when I came home - hours before the attempted break in. I no longer feel safe in the building and want to move as soon as possible. (When we were burglarized he told me that it must have been one of my friends and basically that it wasn't his problem. I had to buy a very expensive lock and agitate for over a week and half until he got me a metal door.) I have talked to our super and our landlord about this problem but the door has not been fixed since I moved in. Also, our mailbox will not lock and I often come home to find the mailbox door and thrown across the hallway. Again, I have spoken with the super and landlord several times and the problem has not been fixed. Finally, our hot water is sporadic at best. Most mornings I take a cold shower because we do not have hot water. Sometimes we go hours without hot water. The bottom line is that I don't feel safe in the apartment and I want to leave. What are my rights? How do I figure out how to go about breaking the lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name