Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: To pay or not to pay

Posted by sd on May 25, 2001 at 17:23:25:

In Reply to: Re: To pay or not to pay posted by Jimmy Legs on May 25, 2001 at 09:10:58:

The realtor who is apparently also the managing agent has told me in no uncertain terms that I have to pay all rent minus $100 for one day of no electricity at all, including my spoiled food. She claims that I made a report of work without a permit, which I know nothing about. She says this report has my name on it. I don't know what she's talking about! I thought about that and called her back to leave a msg that I want a copy of this report with my name on it.

She also says that there is a clause in my lease that I cannot withold rent even if any services are cut off. Is that a legal clause? She is saying that the shut-off was not due to non-payment and that Con Edison made a mistake, also the wiring problem was not a pre-existing condition but something that "just happened". As far as I understand it, those are lies. She also says that it took 2 weeks to be fixed because they had to get permits and make appointments with Con Edison and that was all out of their control. She told me I should be happy I have a roof over my head and that I will not have to pay for my electricity until all of this is fixed. I asked her for a date and she told me that they will tell me when to call Con Edison and set up my own account. Should I just pay my rent minus the $100 dollars, be glad I don't have to pay for the electricity from these past few weeks, and be done with it?

By the way, I spoke to the actual landlord, who said he knew about the letter but hadn't read it yet.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name