Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: must I pay my rent in cash/money order and still not be able to smoke in my own apartment?

Posted by Millicent on May 26, 2001 at 20:50:36:

In Reply to: Re: must I pay my rent in cash/money order and still not be able to smoke in my own apartment? posted by sawbones on May 26, 2001 at 19:45:44:

: I rent an apartment in one of those brownstone buildings in Brooklyn with 4 rental units (one occupied by the LL's sister). Thanks for responding.

: : Re smoking: Are you in a NYCH building?
: : Rent payment: Sure, LL can demand rent in cash, MO or check. LL must, MUST give you a written receipt upon request, especially when you pay in cash, at the time you pay, on the spot, right then and there. So, before you hand over your cash, ask him if he has a receipt with him (on his person) to give to you for your cash.

You live in an unregulated private house. They can tell you to move by giving you 30 days notice. I they don't want you to smoke in the apartment and you do, they might give you notice to leave.

The bit about the rent in cash is bothersome to me. Sounds like they're trying to avoid claiming this rent as income on their taxes. If you give them cash, there is no paper trail and they can pretend a family member lives there and not claim the rental income. You should be sure to get a signed dated receipt that lists the amount paid for the month and year at 123 Main Street, Apt X.

Protect yourself.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name