Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

1) Landlord-created 'illusory sublets'; (2) Evictions based on 'building renovations' by new owner

Posted by Michael Kraft on May 28, 2001 at 23:48:50:

I'm a rent-stabilized tenant in an apartment in a 10-unit Manhattan
brownstone. Three occupants in the building hold fictitious sublets. The owner created the 'sublets' as a condition of renting their apartments to them. He has now notified all 3 of them (i) that the building has been sold, (ii) that the new owner plans to renovate it, and (iii) that they have to vacate their respective apartments at the end of their current 'subleases.' (To date the owner has not sent any notices to the regular tenants -- i.e., the ones that hold actual leases.)

My questions:

1. What are the rights of these 'subtenants'? What course of action should they take to remain in their apartments? Do they have a statutory right to full tenancies based on the landlord's fabrication of illusory sublets?

2. If the building really has been sold, can the new owners evict tenants (i.e., as well as subtenants) based on plans for renovations?

Thanks very much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name