Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DRAFT OF FORMAL COMPLAINT

Posted by adberg on May 29, 2001 at 11:16:22:

I am drafting a formal complaint to my landlord regarding a rent overchage. I am in a rent stabilized apartment on the Lower Eastside. The previous tenants were paying $565. I am the next tenant and am paying $1700. the only improvements made were a new fridge, stove and a coat of paint. The rental history that I ordered from the DHCR backs this evidence up. So, I am drafting a complaint to the landlord b/c I'd rather TRY to settle it out of court first. I am also filing a rent overcharge complaint with the DHCR simultaneously. I think I have my bases covered but could someone read my complaint to the LL and tell me if anything is missing or wrong??? (and I will be sending it certified with receipt) Here it is:

May 29, 2001

Mr. LL-

It has come to my attention that the rent you are charging for apartment XX at XXX Street may be grossly over-inflated. After closely reviewing the rental history provided by the DHCR (which should’ve been included with my lease and was not), I must conclude that the improvements that are listed on the rental history do not constitute a rent increase of over 300% even after a vacancy.

I intend to pursue this matter legally unless we can settle this out of court.

Please call me to discuss this matter as soon as possible.

Thank you.

-Tenant

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name