Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can a landlord increase my rent by 10% bc of a subletter?

Posted by New York Tenant on May 30, 2001 at 09:52:34:

In Reply to: Can a landlord increase my rent by 10% bc of a subletter? posted by Keyser Soze on May 28, 2001 at 23:05:17:

The 10% surcharge for subletting has nothing to do with DHCR's recent revisions to the Rent Stabilization Code.

The Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) has allowed a subletting surcharge in its last few guidelines, including the current guidelines (just search for the keyword "sublet").

RGB Apartment and Loft Order #32:

http://tenant.net/Rent_Laws/RGBOrders/rgb32.html

Furthermore, you, as a tenant, have always been allowed to charge an additional 10% for subletting a fully furnished apartment.

Therefore, if you're subletting a fully furnished apartment, you could charge the subtenant 120% of your current rent and pay 110% of your current rent to the landlord during the term of the sublet.

:
: My landlord is claiming that the new revisions to the Rent Stabilization Code "entitle" him to a 10% increase on my monthly rental payment for the period of my summer sublease. He told me this three weeks after I had already agreed to terms with the new subletter and gained his approval. It came as a shock to both my and my subletter and now we are trying to figure out how to renegotiate our sublet contract.

: I've looked online and found 2525.6(c) of the new DHCR Rent Stabilization Code, which provides that the landlord can increase the rent upon acceptance of a sublease according to the "vacancy allowance" provided for in 2522.8 of the Code but cannot make heads or tails of how to compute the correct "vacancy allowance." I would appreciate anyone's advice on this matter greatly! You can also email me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name