Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Cable TV Cut Off By Landlord

Posted by New York Tenant on May 31, 2001 at 10:13:53:

In Reply to: Cable TV posted by Babs on May 31, 2001 at 08:48:39:

Getting the cable TV company to prosecute the landlord criminally would bring the fastest resolution to your situation.

But you and the other tenants can contact the New York State Public Service Commission, which has jurisdiction over cable television.

:
: I live in a 20-unit apt. bldg. in Brooklyn (built late 1800's) with a mix of rent-control and rent-stabilized apts. Recently the landlord has decided we can't have cable TV and has cut the main wire. In a confrontation with him, he claims he never gave permission (he did indeed as the cable company over 8 years ago would not wire our building without it). He also claims his insurance is being raised $6,000 because of having cable and that it is a fire hazard (but not because of all the faulty wiring in the building I guess). He padlocked the back exit to the building so the cable company couldn't go down to repair. One tenant called and let the guy go down a fire escape in order to repair it. We had cable for about 6 days. When he realized it was fixed, he had his son cut the wire again. We called the cops but they can't arrest him without a witness. We have one who saw the cable get cut, but she is afraid to go forward as I think she fears repercussions.
: Does anyone know how we can fight this (i.e. who we can contact).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name