Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index


Posted by Lilly on June 13, 2001 at 01:45:06:

In Reply to: Re: NO LL RESPONSE TO OVERCHARGE posted by chelsea on June 12, 2001 at 16:57:35:

If you decide to stop paying rent, do keep those funds available-don't spend that money! When LL does serve you with papers for a non-payment proceeding and you appear in court, I believe about the first thing the judge will ask you is if you have the money. A good thing to know is that the judge has a computer terminal on the bench (or in his chambers) and on that terminal he can access the registration history for your apartment-right then and there. Of course you will have the DHCR copy, signed, dated and certified, of that registration with you! It's a little scary to go that route, but as long as you hold on to that money you'll be fine. Do not fall into the trap of paying that money to an attorney. You may have to pay it into the court pending the outcome of the case.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name