Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: just because you don't care doesn't make you right

Posted by courtwatcher on June 21, 2001 at 17:31:53:

In Reply to: Who cares ? posted by Zepher Renter on June 05, 2001 at 22:43:24:

You're incorrect in your assessment that QM was doing something against the law.
QM stated that her situation took place a few years in the past; that would be before the change in the law to the new "proportionate share" status.
So, QM showed she had brains -- and did the classic NY thing of making the situation work for her.
She did not break the law.

: Queen Mary, would her majesty like cheese with her whine ?

: Guess what. Your surgery and medical problems are YOUR problems. Irrelevant to the law and your lease. If medical bills and medical problems are too much for you to handle, then you better make the difficult decisions now about what is a priority for you and make arrangements for more affordable housing or whatever it is that you need. This may sound harsh, but there is no one who can look our for your interests like YOU can. And likewise, you can't expect others (a roommate, a landlord) to pick up the slack for you. We've all had our troubles and hard times -- past difficulties do not earn you an exemption from the law.

:
: : Oh yeah? I went thru cancer surgery a few years back. Went thru radiation and chemo for 6 months. I took in a "roommate" during that time who did indeed pay about 75% of the rent. I paid the balance plus con-ed, cable and local phone. I had no other financial assistance whatsoever besides disability insurance, which didn't even begin to cover the basic expenses. This wonderful person who lived with me during that period was the only way I was able to keep a roof over my head. So what are you going to do about it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name