Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index


Posted by chelsea on June 22, 2001 at 00:11:35:

In Reply to: Just found out my Bldg is Rent Stabilized/Help on Getting landlord to do repairs posted by RB on June 20, 2001 at 20:45:40:

Part I:

Call the state Division of Housing and Community Renewal rent info hotline (718-739-6400) and ask for an
apartment rent history. It will be mailed to you. Write back to this forum if you have questions after that. Don't
necessarily take the building owner's word for it if the rent history says the apartment is deregulated -- check it

Part II

Those conditions sound pretty bad. You should first call the city department of housing preservation and development and ask for an inspector to be sent immediately. They're not usually very responsive so if you don't get quick action, you should be looking into filing an HP action in housing court (search for info on site.) If there's an active tenants organization in your neighborhood you should see if they can help you. Some of the more pro-tenant city council members will help get an inspector more quickly, or help you in other ways, so you might want to try that.

Good luck!

: Hi
: Part I
: Through a link on this site I just found out I'm living in a rent stabilized bldg. I moved in on 2/01. How do I find out if the rent I'm paying is legal?

: Part II
: I've been living here for 4 months and there are repairs that need to be done that aren't. I keep getting the runaround. There is a different "super" every week. I recently sent a certified letterto the LL, following many phone calls and broken appts. The main repair is a leaky toilet in the apt directly above which has caused a gapping hole in the ceiling. Its been getting worse and worse. Today came home and hole is 2x as big and the ceiling has given way. There was plaster and water everywhere-GROSS!! I can see the tile of the bathroom floor above. Nothing has been done yet. I plan to send another certified letter stating I plan to hold rent and file a complaint with the health department. Good Plan?? Help??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name