Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DHCR mini-histories

Posted by chelsea on June 23, 2001 at 18:44:36:

In Reply to: 4 year rule should not apply if no initial registration posted by nyhawk on June 23, 2001 at 16:50:33:

DHCR has pulled that cute trick on me, with the 4-year histories. This after I won a substantial rehabilitation case and the Housing Court judge ordered the landlord to register. I've had to get many copies of my rent history as the landlord ignores deadline after deadline, and the judge keeps giving him more time. It's a big pain to have to keep calling because half the time DHCR's phones don't work and the rest of the time their computers are down. If I have trouble getting through, I call the commissioner's office directly and ask his assistant to figure out what's wrong with the phones and call me back. Hey, whatever works! I had to throw a fit to get the complete history when I was sent the mini version, and since then I always ask for the whole thing. One employee told me their computers are programmed for four years, and they have to take some extra steps to get the longer document. Some of the lower-level DHCR employees have gone out of their way to help when I explain the situation, I have to admit.

It's now nine months since I won my case, and the landlord has filed only six of the twelve registrations and one, the sort-of initial registration, is completely wrong, saying I lived there five years before I moved in.

Some other tenants in my neigbhorhood have also been sent registrations going back only four years, after their landlord, a notorious criminal who was sent to prison for harassing tenants, decided to stop registering apartments a few years back. DHCR employees should have been able to see from the record on their screens that something was wrong -- a long string of registered rents, followed by filings claiming exemption because of J-51 expiration!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name