Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Ripped off by Roommate

Posted by Chris G on June 26, 2001 at 14:18:03:

In Reply to: Ripped off by Roommate posted by Ellen on June 26, 2001 at 00:20:54:

i share lilly's concerns here. perhaps you are signing a new lease with the landlord, since he was upset to find out about your predicament. otherwise, lilly's right, it won't matter much since yr roomie will have to answer to his month-to-month status.

as for the roommate, he should have been more upfront with you about how the rent would be handled, but for your situation there's not much you can do legally. plus, you do have to live with this person, so diplomacy is warranted.

: After three months in an apartment in the Bronx, I discovered my roommate was charging me $200 more than he is paying. (The apartment is very cheap, but not rent-stabilized.)He has no lease other than a verbal agreement with the landlord (who lives in the building which only has three units), who was unaware (and unhappy) that he was charging me more than half the rent. I contend that he violated a verbal contract by telling me that I was paying half the rent, but he insists he said no such thing, and only indicated the amount of the rent.

: I'm signing a lease before next month's rent is due, and will no longer be paying more that my share, but I'm still out money from the past three months (may not seem like a lot to some, but it is substantial to me). Do I have any legal recourse? Small claims court under penalty of misrepresentation or violation of verbal contract?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name