Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

sublease rules

Posted by nyc tenant on June 28, 2001 at 12:07:31:

I was recently evicted for illegally subleasing and, it turns out, overpaying the rent stabilized rent by $150/mo (not incl utilities) to the woman on the lease.

Anyway, a co-worker will be transferring to our SF office for a year and she offered to sublease me her rent stabilized place beginning Sept 1, 2001. After the mess I recently went through, we decided to do the subleasing process totally by the book. So, we went through the proper formalities -- she called to notify her LL (he didn't like it, but said he would charge the legal 10% increase if she went through with it), and then we filled out the proper paperwork and sent it to him certified/return receipt requested.

Well, a couple days ago, she received notice through the mail that he did not accept/sign for her letter. What does this mean? I read that he has a month to respond to our request, but if he doesn't even accept it, can he deny our request? Am I considered a legal subtenant after a month (which is before my move in date anyway)? Also, can he increase the rent by 10% anytime during my year sublease or must it be decided up front?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name