Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Front door keys

Posted by Janet on June 30, 2001 at 19:52:58:

My landlord in a 10 unit rent-stabilized brownstone has sent a letter saying he is putting in a new front door with a high security lock. Each tenant will get one key and all additional keys must be paid for AND we have to indicate the name, address and phone number of the person receiving the additional keys. We also have to indicate the relationship to that person. Is this legal? Does the landlord have the right to withhold keys? The letter said that it is a key with a code and only he can make keys. Can he withhold the right to a key for a newspaper delivery man, for example? The washer and dryer which is located in the same landlord-owned building right next door now opens with the same key as my building. I have had the use of these machines since I moved in 25 years ago. The landlord has specified that these machines are for the use of both buildings. (Notices about problems with the machines for example have been posted in both buildings. The building manager has called me regarding repairs and repairmen, etc.) He has hesitated to say that he will now give my building tenants keys to the building next door if, indeed, he puts in two different lock mechanisms. Does he legally have to provide me with a key to the other building? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name