Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: desperate for help 48 hrs

Posted by Provost on July 03, 2001 at 18:59:03:

In Reply to: desperate for help 48 hrs posted by michelle on July 03, 2001 at 15:40:43:

Sad but true - the War on Drugs has spread to housing. Tenants in many states (including New York) face eviction if they allow the apartment to be used for drug distrubution. And landlords can actually have their property confiscated and sold if drugs or drug dealers are found to occupy the place - it's called civil forfeiture. That's why some landlords have gotten paranoid about drugs.

That said, you need to review your lease to ascertain exactly what is required of you. You also need to review the offense your son was charged with - it may be sealed as a juvenile case, for instance. If we are talking about a low-level juvenile arrest that took place off of the property, then I really don't think you have to worry.

: My lease states that anyone over the age of 18 has to have a criminal background check done. Question, my son just turned 18 and the apartments are going to evict us in 48 hrs if I do not pay $25 for the background check. The manager told me he will be denied if any drug charge shows up. The lease states if the person is found guilty of possesion of a controlled substance or any felony offence. The police department told me that marijuana is not a controlled substance. The office manager disagrees. What can I do? I have 48 hrs. to do something. She wants me to give her the money and she said well see what happens. She just wants the money. She already told me that he'll be denied. Is there anythin I can do? Please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name