Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Apt. Deregulated due to rent increase of $2,000 or more

Posted by JJ on July 04, 2001 at 23:05:09:

In Reply to: Apt. Deregulated due to rent increase of $2,000 or more posted by ADN on July 03, 2001 at 18:54:00:

: NY Tenant,

: Hi. Great site. I am hoping that you can answer this question for me. Here is the scenario:

: My upstairs neighbors just moved out. I am going to keep my apartment and take over their apartment as well. My landlord sent me a new lease for both apt's combined. He also included a "Notice to First Tenant of Apt. Deregulated After Vacancy Due to a Rent of $2,000 or More." What does this mean? After this lease is up will my landlord be able to raise the rent however much that he wants?

: If you could email me with the reply that you post here, I would appreciate that. Thanks.

This is High-Rent deregulation: look it up on tenant.net, NY Tenant Info. Basically, if any apt's rent goes over $2000, it is no longer stabilized. You lose your right to renew the lease. You lose 'reasonable ' increases of 4-6% per renewal. Yoiu lose succession rights. You are 'free-market' and face leaving Manhattan at the end of your lease.

So: don't do it! Take both apts, but do not physically combine them. Sign two leases, one for each apt. If neither single apt rent is over $2000, you keep rent stabilization and get to live in NYC for as long as you want....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name