Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent stabilzed building, rent stablized lease not given.. Can I sublet?

Posted by Provost on July 09, 2001 at 19:07:17:

In Reply to: rent stabilzed building, rent stablized lease not given.. Can I sublet? posted by Jeff Kramer on July 09, 2001 at 10:14:57:

As a sublettor you do not gain the rent stabilization rights (such as right to a renewal lease) that the primary tenant has. You should not plan to occupy the apartment any longer than the duration of your sublease, or the duration of the primary tenant's lease.

One buildings can have some apartments rent stabilized, and some not stabilized, often right next to each other. If the LL is renting a stabilized apartment as a non stabilized apartment that is something the respective tenant would have to take up with the LL or DHCR. As a subtenant your only recourse would be to your "landlord", the primary tenant.

: I have been offered the opportunity to sublet an apt in a rent stabilized building where the tenant initially had a dispute with the landlord & did not receive a rent stabilized lease, but they did receive a signed stipulation allowing them to occupy for x years..

: My question is would I have at least the same rights as the current tenant, as I have been advised that the landlord has violated the c of o of the building by trying to rent a stabilized apt as a non- rent stabilized apt.

: thank you

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name