Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noise

Posted by Ace on July 10, 2001 at 15:46:27:

In Reply to: Re: Noise posted by charlieblackcat on July 09, 2001 at 13:19:48:

I sympathize with your plight, I've been there. Your LL can't do anything as the noise is coming from a building outside LL's jurisdiction. It's true you won't find too many real legal ways to shut up the noisy neighbors short of calling the cops. Though you may come across two things 1) the cops may not come as this is not considered an emergency like a robbery or assault and 2) this unfortunately might escalate things, though, between you & the noisy people if you've been the only one complaining or being the main one to vocalize your displeasure towards them. It won't take them long to deduce that the police call(s) was courtesy of you and might make things unpleasant for you.

Have you tried getting some sound barrier padding to put in your windows that face out in their direction? Like egg carton foam padding that's used in rehearsal studios? It doesn't totally block out the sound but it does muzzle it somewhat.

Short of moving out (or a willingness to risk being the target of hostility by calling the cops) I don't know if there's much else that can be done.

I'd love to hear what others have done or were able to find regarding neighbor/neighborhood noise and the law. I hope they post here. Again, my sympathies.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name