Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Sucession Rights? - Mitchell-Lama Apartment

Posted by JJ on July 10, 2001 at 22:31:04:

In Reply to: Sucession Rights? - Mitchell-Lama Apartment posted by Jane on July 10, 2001 at 10:59:22:

: My parents live by themselves in a Mitchell-Lama building in Manhattan. Sadly, their health in deteriorating and in a few years I fear they might have to be moved into an old age home. Is there anything I can do to keep the apartment in the family?

: I called the managing agent of the building, and he told me that I have no rights of succession since I do not live with them and I am not on the lease. I raised the point that I am considering moving in to help them out, but he said that once they became to ill to reside there, I too would have to move.

: Is there anything I can do? I am considering obtaining legal council, but I don't want to spend money on what I fear may be a worthless cause.

: Thank you for any advise.

If you do move in to support them while one or both is in-and-out of hospitals, nurshing homes, etc.... you might be able to stay after they both pass away. Don't call mgmt again. Get and read the Lease, House Rules, and any other document relating to renting. First thing to learn: rental or co-op? Under which M-L program?

Read the info on the HPD pages of nyc.gov and on DHCR.state.ny.us re Mitchell-Lamas: some are city-controlled, some are state.

After all that, you should be thoroughly confused.... call one of the tenant-attys who have banners here and pay the $150-250 fee for an hour's consultation.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name