Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Notice to Vacate

Posted by Ace on July 11, 2001 at 17:01:13:

In Reply to: Notice to Vacate posted by Mary on July 11, 2001 at 16:00:05:

I'm sorry, that really stinks. As far as I have read, if you've been a month to month tenant with no lease, then the LL only has to give you a full 30 days written notice to vacate for whatever reason LL has. Short of talking to your LL and trying to bide some time by offering a little extra on top of your normal rent for another month, I don't know what else legally can be done.

Just be sure that you insist that the LL personally do a walk-thru inspection with you on the day you're to hand over your keys (have someone with you, along with camera or videocamera with date and time stamped film features so you have proof of what the apt. looked like before you left and that the LL was there to say everything was fine.
Make sure to take pictures of the walls, floors, tilings, ceilings, doors, windows -- the LL will look for anything to deduct from the security.
Ask the LL if he knows of anyone renting places in the neighborhood -- and in the meantime, schools and churches are the best places to put the word out that you're looking for a new place. I'm sure others will post with some more useful information for you. I wish you the best. Good luck.

:
: My landlord sent us a 30 day notice to vacate my apartment. He sold the house and never informed us of his intend. We rent on a month to month basis. It is impossible both financially and physically to find an apartment in this short notice. What can I do to get more time? And what about my security deposit? I have 3 children and we are well established in this community; schools, churches. I do not want to move out of my neighborhood. What will happen if we don't get out after the 30 days?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name