Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: HELP! Phil

Posted by Dayann on July 11, 2001 at 22:22:35:

In Reply to: Re: HELP! Where do we go from here??.... posted by phil on July 11, 2001 at 17:12:27:

Hi, Phil. You're absolutely right. If and when we get eviction papers, we'll get a lawyer. Right now, we really can't afford one, but we know better than to walk into Court without one should we be summoned to appear. We have spoken to pro se attorneys at the housing court and their advice has been along the same lines as JJ's. The internet is no place for legal advice, however, it is a place where someone who has recently been in my situation can share his or her experience and refer me to tenant's advocacy groups or other services that may help. Also, the belief that only a lawyer can have access to or understand the law is a myth. I have witnessed situations where people who couldn't afford lawyers have been able to go to court and start an action or defend themselves in an action and win. That is why NOLO makes so much money in book sales.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name