Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: find GOLES fast, call Met council

Posted by SamE on July 15, 2001 at 23:18:42:

In Reply to: Is this illusory sublet case? Pls, help..... posted by Hyath on July 15, 2001 at 20:10:05:

: Please help me if this an illusory sublet case and what I should do.

: I want to know how I could find the legal rent of the apartment and if this is rent stabilized also. My neighbor told me this was rent stabilized but when I went trough the search from the net it was excluded. Also I heard you could not give sublet for more than 2years, and how can I find about the fact? (For the last subtenants, they payed bills using the landlord and the tenantí»s name)

: And if I find I have been overcharged, can I be compensated even if I move out from the apartment?

: I would like to have any suggestions on this. I have read through the archive regarding illusory sublet, but the cases seem to differ a little bit from mine. I have no idea where to bring the case to and how I should gather more information.

: I would really appreciate help,
: Thank you.

: Hyath

DHCR. go to 25 Beaver Street, 5th floor.
This is the Manhattan DHCR address.
bring : photo-ID, current bill with your name on it, lease if you have one: something, anything that proves you are you and that you live in that apartment.

Ask for a RENT HISTORY on the apartment. This will show the rent prices and tenants names that the landlord registered from 1984 to 2001.

Ask for the OWNER HISTORY: this will show the landlord's names from 1984 to 2001, again from the annual registrations.

Find: GOLES: Good Ole Lower East Side. It's a community and tenant-advocacy group. If you can't find them, call Metropolitan Council on Housing, Monday afternoon (phone number is here on somewhere): they will give you the phone number of GOLES and the drop-in hours

Take all the DHCR computer printouts and any other papers concerning your apartment to their tenant clinic. Do it soon.

If you are being overcharged, there are lots of things you can do: for one, start paying only the legal rent (which is probably closer to $550 than to $2000)........

The NEW office for Met Council on Housing is located at:
339 Lafayette (at the corner of Bleecker St),
(B, D, F or Q to Broadway Lafayette or 6 to Bleecker St.)
For more information call (212) 693-0553

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name