Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL holding security Deposit

Posted by JA on July 16, 2001 at 11:13:52:

Story: We leased the lwr lvl of a house on Long Island for 1 year. The lease was 5 weeks from ending and we gave notice to the LL advising over the phone (now know big mistake) that we would not be renewing the lease. We advised LL truthfully that we would actually be moving out at the end of the week and if they could find someone then we would ensure the place be clean and ready for them thinking it would be a win win for everyone ie we would not have to pay for the month we where not in house .LL promtly asked to come and inspect the property and commented on how well the place looked while there. I asked about payment and LL stated we will work that out later and said they will call by on the Friday arvo after work when we moved out. No show from LL just the New Tenant with delivery of stuff to move in. House luckily was clean and spotless.

Problem: LL would not return calls and we have now sent LL a polite letter asking for security deposit back after the date past we called again and she answered this time and stated she had received the letter and said we owe her money and then hung up!!

Question: What do I do now and if I send her another letter what sort of words should I use? That is not something I am good at.. Is there somewhere I can go to see example letters or someone I should call.
or Is she write and I am in the wrong. The tenant before us also had problems getting money from LL after moving out.

Thankyou in advance

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name