Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Air Conditioner Repair

Posted by Dayann on July 23, 2001 at 02:49:29:

In Reply to: Air Conditioner Repair posted by Megan on July 17, 2001 at 12:05:16:

Hi Megan. Rent abatements for a/c's are tricky because not everyone considers an a/c a necessary thing. If we were having a major heatwave like we had a couple years ago, you could probably make a big stink about it and get a rent abatement, but you still wouldn't get the A/C fized any quicker, and by the time you spent all that money documenting everything and going back and forth to court, your abatement money would only be covering all the expense and trouble of suing in the first place.

Maybe you can get an estimate from an a/c company that does free estimates and submit that info to the managment office so you don't have to wait forever for the management to do it.

I would document every day that you don't have your a/c and the temperature, so that if the whole summer goes by and you still don't have a/c THEN you can do the abatement thing. Waiting 3 weeks for a new a/c is one thing, going all summer long without a working a/c when it should be part of your apartment (and rent) is another.

Good luck. I grew up in a poor neighborhood and didn't have an a/c until I was 27 years old. So I know what it is to have to make due in a hot NY apartment without a/c. (Take lots of showers).

One other Q (if you don't mind): How old are you? If you are over 50 you could argue that you are elderly and the lack of a/c presents a major health hazard, and you could get help from Dept. of the Aging to improve the conditions.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name