Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL refuses to fix termite problem

Posted by Theresa on July 23, 2001 at 16:41:19:

I live in Houston, TX in an apt complex that has privately owned buildings...I have had several problems with my apartment since moving in a year ago, but they were all pretty minor. Then, in April of this year I came home from work and went to my room to change clothes. I noticed a strange, brown residue on my wall next to my window. I have never had termites before so I did not really think anything of it. A couple of days later I saw a what looked almost like a wasp nest coming out of the middle of my wall. When I scraped it away is when I saw black bugs with white tipped wings. I knew immediately that it was termites. I called the man who is responsible for making the repairs in the units, since my actual landlord lives in Canada. Anyway, a couple of weeks later he brought me a can of Terminix and told my roommate at the time "it would be a while before the termite man could come out". I spoke to him about it last week and asked what the status was on the termite guy and he told me after discussing with his boss, his boss decided it's too expensive to fix and that they were not going to fix it. I need to know if I can withold rent until the problem is fixed. I have a 5 yr old daughter and in my mind this is a health hazard, but again I don't know anything about termites, so I don't know. When my lease expired in June my landlord has never brought a copy of the new lease, so a new lease has never been signed so, I guess technically I am living on a month to month basis, I don't know if this has any bearing on the situation. Any info you can provide would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Theresa McCue

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name