Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: "Legal Rent" of my apartment

Posted by link on July 24, 2001 at 09:01:43:

In Reply to: posted by Selmerboy on July 23, 2001 at 13:07:17:

: HI - this is my first post. I am moving into an apartment in Astoria in a week or so, and when I signed my lease, the Manager made a big deal about how the rent we were going to be paying was less than the "legal rent" of the apartment. I even had to initial a clause in the lease that spelled that out. His implication was that he could've charged more, but he liked us, so . . . whatever.

: Anyway, what's the deal with this. Am I really lucky? Maybe he was just under pressure to rent the Apt, or maybe it's just another kind of line. How does this affect my rights when I want to renew the lease? Does this mean he can jack up the rent more?

: Thanks
: Selmerboy

You can't get a rent history mailed to you until you live there to receive the mail. If your landlord might see you mail, it would be unwise to get this at home anyway. You can take the signed lease to Queens DHCR office and get one now in person.

If it is a pref rent, your renewal should be based on the pref rent price, not the higher one. One little glitch: some judge recently decided some specific extra clause on one tenant's lease rider made his/her pref rent temporary and based the renewal lease on the higher rent. First time in history that happened.

It would be wise to file an overcharge complaint if the rent history suggests either rent is too high. Get the paperwork, take it all to a free tenant clinic.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name