Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: New Refrigerators???? MCIs?? Mike...

Posted by Dawn on July 24, 2001 at 10:58:30:

In Reply to: Re: New Refrigerators???? MCIs?? posted by MikeW on July 23, 2001 at 14:35:09:

The line you wrote about holding on to the old refrigerator and then putting it back when you're leaving made me pause. (also think, where the heck does one put an unused appliance as big as a stove or refrigerator, for that matter, until one moves???)

I had gone back and forth for three years with the original LL of the building about replacing my stove which did not work and needed to be replaced. I sent letters, made phone calls, had LL's representative visit, all to no avail. I finally had to go out and buy a new stove, after alerting the LL in writing that I would and let the LL know about the removal of the old stove, which took another couple of months to remove from my apt.

The building has since been passed over to two different landlords in less than a year. I'm wondering that now it's been a few years later, will I be forced to leave my stove that I paid for in order to get my security back? The old stove has since been picked up by sanitation and disposed of -- it was ancient and beyond repair.

Or should I turn around when the time comes and the LL has the audacity to try to keep my security by suing for rent monies that would have been deducted for reduced services? Would I even have a case if we went to court?

: : HOW CAN WE STOP THIS NOW? I had this exact experience with the shoddy toilet my felonious landlord installed, and it's still causing me a problem. Can anyone stop Mark Green (he won't be getting my vote if he runs for Mayor)? Who can I contact to make sure this gets voted down?

: Don't vote for Green (but you seem to have this one covered)

: : Wouldn't the cost of these refrigerators that's passed along in any MCI have to be reduced in some J-51 sort of thing?

: Probably

: : And in a larger scope, WHY do landlords get rent increases that last forever on items that are paid off practically in months in this case? How can we get rid of this loophole?

: You can't

: : If I went out now and bought my own refrigerator it would be cheaper in the long run. What are the rules for this in a rent-stabilized apartment?

: You'd have to keep the old refrigerator, put it back you leave, and take yours with you. You would also likely need permission from the LL.

: : Landlords need to be stopped now, by any and all means possible.

: I hope you're not holding your breath

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name