Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL overcharging??

Posted by Flash on July 24, 2001 at 15:11:10:

I've been reading back in the forum but need specific help on my case. Here's the deal:

I just moved into an apartment on Riverside Drive that the last tenant, who moved out (or was evicted, not sure which), was rent stabilized and paying 450 a month in rent. Based on what I've been able to deduct based on new tenant increases (20 percent, plus percentage of every year person lived in unit), I come up with a rent of no higher than 550 a month. I moved in recently and I'm paying 2100 with a 200 deduction for "preferential rent"..I see that elsewhere but nobody seems to now what that really means. So 1900 a month altogether.

Anyway, that means that to raise the rent that high, he must have done over 60,000 dollars of work on the unit (can raise rent 1/40th of upgrades and repairs). There is a new kitchen, new bathroom sinks, and walls (toilets and baths are old). Repaint...and that's about it...a little electrical (just redid the cover plates). So it doesn't seem like 60,000 of work to me. We've been told that the apartment is not rent stablized due to the fact that the legal rent went over 2000 a month. Something smells fishy. What can I do? And if I file a complaint, what do I need to bring to prove? And is the landlord going to then kick me out when it's time to renew the lease.
Please help, cause I'm going broke!

Flash

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name