Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DHCR on preferential rents

Posted by chelsea on July 25, 2001 at 08:37:31:

In Reply to: Re: Preferential vs. legal rent -- after that appellate decision posted by New York Tenant on July 25, 2001 at 07:52:15:

Well, that's a pretty good argument to go to DHCR rather than the court. But what about not signing the offered lease within the designated time? Couldn't that leave the tenant out on a limb, win or lose? DHCR always seems to say sign the lease, and contest later, and get your overcharge if you win. I still think it would be a good idea for the tenant to get at least a consultation with a tenant lawyer, even if he or she decides to go to DHCR.

My question about jurisdiction was whether the Bronx housing court case after the appellate term ruling had any significance for Manhattan, not the appellate term's ruling.

Chelsea

-------------------

: In the Missionary Sisters case, DHCR took the position that the preferential rent should be continued. In reading the decision of the Appellate Division, First Department, it looks like DHCR vigorously defended its position, and I would expect DHCR to continue to defend its position if the case goes to the Court of Appeals.

: The Missionary Sisters case applies only in Manhattan and the Bronx. If I were a tenant in any borough, I would refuse to sign a renewal lease based on the legal maximum rent, and would file a complaint with DHCR.
:  

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name