Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DHCR vs. Housing Court

Posted by Flash on July 25, 2001 at 08:38:16:

Per my previous post, concerning a possible overcharge, I went to the DHCR office on 125th street. I didn't have the papers for the rent history details, but I spoke with a guy there about it. He told me I could EITHER go through DHCR or Housing Court. DHCR would take 2-3 years, he said, and housing court would be much faster (didn't give a time frame for that). Does anyone have any experience with these, and can give me other reasons for going one way or the other? Also, there is another apartment in the same building (friends of ours who moved in the same time we did) that has a similar possible problem with overcharging, so we were going to team up (strength in numbers) and get one lawyer for the two of us.

Basically, it comes down to "did the landlord put in $60,000 of upgrades in the unit?" We know, that the work done did not cost 60,000, and if we could have a contractor come in to estimate, I feel it would be somewhere around 15-20,000 at the very highest. But if the landlord can come up with canceled checks and bills, he's covered. He owns many buildings, so it seems easy for him to come up with that kind of info. I'm so confused!!

Flash

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name